Fulfilling the role of House Parent at Colaisde na Gàidhlig is an adult role which is taken very seriously here on site. As House Parent, you assume responsibility over the entire student population on campus during your stay. The safety and well-being of the children we have in our company during our school weeks, is the number one priority of Colaisde na Gàidhlig. The following points outline what we believe to be your responsibility while residing here in the role of House Parent.
1. Know the Students
- Become familiar with and get to know each child under your supervision during your stay.
- During Youth Sessions, both boys and girls will be staying in MacKenzie residence. Under no circumstance are boys allowed on the girls’ floor, nor are girls allowed on the boys’ floor. The first floor is the boys’ residence, the second floor is the girls’ residence. It is the responsibility of the House Parent to ensure that this rule is enforced and abided by. Any child found in a residence that is not of their own will have their parents phoned immediately and will be asked to leave the site. Zero tolerance is the rule in this regard.
3. Dress Code
- All students must be dressed respectfully. Children and Youth are to take pride in their appearance and are expected to dress appropriately. This means no spaghetti straps on tank tops, no short-shorts, all pants and/or shorts must be pulled up all the way to the waist, no belly-buttons are to be exposed, absolutely no skimpy tops, no pajamas and no bare feet are allowed anywhere on site. It is the responsibility of the House Parents to ensure that this rule is enforced and abided by.
4. Absolutely no alcohol or drugs are allowed to be in the possession of youth students on campus. House Parents are required to be alert to this at all times and ensure that this rule is enforced and abided by. Violation of this rule will mean that the student(s) will have their parents contacted and will be expelled from the session immediately.
5. No student is permitted to leave the campus at any time during their stay here. There will be no permission slips granted, and it is the responsibility of the House Parent to ensure that children / youth are present on site at all times. No exceptions are to be made to this rule unless it is an emergency situation, or we have been notified that the student's parents are picking him/her up.
6. Curfew/Lights Out/Student Count
- House Parents are required to perform a Student Count at 11:00 pm to ensure all students are in their proper residences. For pre-teens, curfew is 9:30PM with Lights Out by 10PM. For teens, curfew is 10:30 PM with Lights Out at 10:45. All students require a good night’s sleep and enforcing this rule is absolutely essential to the well-being and the learning potential of students.
- House Parents are required to supervise students’ laundry. Students are permitted to use laundry facilities in the first floor bathroom of MacLeod House any time after class. All laundry must be finished by 8:15 pm.
- House Parents are required to check washrooms daily for toilet tissue, towels, etc.
9. Wrist Bands
- House Parents are required to monitor wristbands and ensure that they are presented to cafeteria staff for all meals. Cafeteria staff will be enforcing this rule. Blue tags indicate live-in students who receive all meals. Silver tags indicate day students who will receive lunch only.
10. Room inspections
- House Parents are required to perform a daily inspection of students’ rooms and empty garbage daily.
11. Night lunch
- House Parents are required to serve night lunch to the students and clean up afterwards. Most often night lunch is prepared for 8:00PM but may vary depending on evening activities.
- It is the responsibility of the House Parents to ensure that residences are empty during class times and that all students are in classes – unless a student is ill.
- If there is a problem, contact the Director of Education and Programming, Tracey, immediately. If Tracey not available, contact a staff member on campus right away.
14. Morning Routine
- It is the responsibility of the House Parent to make sure that students are up, showered and dressed appropriately before coming to the dining room for breakfast. This means enforcing the Dress Code. Also, please ensure that all students are in attendance for morning assembly at 8:45 am.
15. Rules and Regulations
- Instruct and educate all students in regard to the rules and regulations which are contained in this kit and posted in residences. It is the responsibility of the House Parent to ensure that the rules and regulations are being enforced and abided by.
16. House Parent Class Participation
- House Parents, if interested, will be permitted to participate in one class per day, so long as there are always 3-5 other House Parents “On Duty” at all times throughout the day. A schedule will be drafted and followed in this regard.
17. A Criminal Record Check must be completed and provided to the Director of Education and Programming, as well as 2 letters of reference, before being considered for the role of House Parent.
REMUNERATION – FREE ROOM AND BOARD
To apply for a position as a House Parent, please complete this form.